[bitcoin-dev] New BIP: Dealing with OP_IF and OP_NOTIF malleability in P2WSH

Sergio Demian Lerner sergio.d.lerner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 00:11:16 UTC 2016

I think that we're not attacking the real source of the problem: that the
witness data size is not signed. It may be the case that a new source of
malleability is detected in witness programs later, or related to new
opcodes we'll soft-fork in the future.

The problem is real, as some systems (such as hardware wallets or other
low-memory IoT embedded systems) may have hard limits in the size of the
witness program they can accept. So we need a solution for all current and
future segwit extension problems.

We could soft-fork to add an opcode OP_PROGSIZE using segwit script
versioning that pushes in the stack the size of the segwit program being
evaluated, and then the script can take any action it wishes based on that.

Example:
<0x50> OP_PROGSIZE OP_GREATERTHAN OP_VERIFY ..... OP_CHECKSIG

Then an attacker cannot create a clone of the transaction having a witness
ECDSA signature longer than 0x50 bytes. (many details omitted in this
example)

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 7:15 AM, Johnson Lau via bitcoin-dev <