[bitcoin-dev] Hardware Wallet Standard

Thomas Kerin me at thomaskerin.io
Wed Aug 24 10:31:20 UTC 2016

I want to pitch a use-case that might have been ignored in this discussion:

I don't think this protocol is only useful for hardware wallets.
Technically any website that wants to request public keys/signatures and
offload the responsibility for managing keys and signing to the user
would also find this valuable.

I hope we can move forward with a protocol that suits both the hardware
people, and the people who find signing transactions in browsers
unsettling.

Maybe we the focus should move away from only servicing hardware, and
asking if the motivation is better captured by "allow users pick their
own ECDSA implementation, hardware or software", then working out what
we need to get us there.