[bitcoin-dev] Managing block size the same way we do difficulty (aka Block75)

Daniele Pinna daniele.pinna at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 03:17:45 UTC 2016

How is the adverse scenario you describe different from a plain old 51%
attack? Each proposed protocol change  where 51% or more  of the network
can potentially game the rules and break the system should be considered
just as acceptable/unacceptable as another.

There comes a point where some form of basic honesty must be assumed on
behalf of participants benefiting from the system working properly and
reliably.

Afterall, what magic line of code prohibits all miners from simultaneously
turning all their equipment off...  just because?

Maybe this 'one':

"As long as a majority of CPU power is controlled by nodes that are not
cooperating to attack the network, they'll generate the longest chain and
outpace attackers. The network itself requires minimal structure."

Is there such a thing as an unrecognizable 51% attack?  One where the
remaining 49% get dragged in against their will?

Daniele