[bitcoin-dev] Python test suite failures (was Re: Planned Obsolescence)

Alice Wonder alice at librelamp.com
Mon Dec 19 08:13:51 UTC 2016

On 12/18/2016 12:51 PM, Douglas Roark via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> On 2016/12/18 12:07, Alice Wonder via bitcoin-dev wrote:
>> I almost did not update to 0.13.0 because the test suite was failing due
>> to python errors. How to fix them was posted on bitcointalk.
>>
>> 0.13.1 came with new python errors in the test suite. So I just said
>> fuck it.
>>
>> When the test suite actually works in my fairly standard environment
>> (CentOS) in the distributed release, I will upgrade.
>
> Can you post more info about the problems you're seeing, how you fixed
> them, your environment, etc., or at least post an issue on Github? I'm
> sure somebody would be happy to help. Some info on how to reproduce the
> problems would be very helpful. :)
>
> Thanks.

For 0.13.0 I had to do

export LANG=en_US.utf8

before running the test suite. I build in clean chroot build environment
to avoid accidental linking to non-standard libraries, and in that
environment the LANG is normally set to C as LANG normally doesn't
matter for compiling software that is expected to run regardless of what
the LANG is.

That I believe was fixed in 0.13.1.

In 0.13.1 the error is

Running test/bitcoin-util-test.py...
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./test/bitcoin-util-test.py", line 12, in <module>
     "bitcoin-util-test.json",buildenv)
   File "/builddir/build/BUILD/bitcoin-0.13.1/src/test/bctest.py", line
54, in bctester
     bctest(testDir, testObj, buildenv.exeext)
   File "/builddir/build/BUILD/bitcoin-0.13.1/src/test/bctest.py", line
26, in bctest
     outputData = open(testDir + "/" + outputFn).read()
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'./test/data/blanktx.json'
make[3]: *** [check-local] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/builddir/build/BUILD/bitcoin-0.13.1/src'
make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/builddir/build/BUILD/bitcoin-0.13.1/src'
make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/builddir/build/BUILD/bitcoin-0.13.1/src'
make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

0.13.0 test works just fine (once the LANG is set to something utf8)