[bitcoin-dev] BIP Process: Status, comments, and copyright licenses

Luke Dashjr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Feb 2 19:08:19 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, February 02, 2016 3:58:21 PM Gavin Andresen wrote:
> I don't like the definition of "consensus".  I think the definition
> described gives too much centralized control to whoever controls the
> mailing list and the wiki.

How can I improve this? Inevitably, every medium of communications will be
controlled by someone (even if unmoderated, it becomes effectively controlled
by trolls who spam it with garbage).

I think it's important to note that this is also only for updating the status
of BIPs, and is not in any way relevant to such proposals *actually* being
accepted. So if the BIP process were to breakdown on this or any other point,
it isn't somehow controlling the actual reality. To explicitly clarify this
point, I have added to the end of the section:
    "These criteria are considered objective ways to observe the de facto
     adoption of the BIP, and are not to be used as reasons to oppose or
     reject a BIP. Should a BIP become actually and unambiguously adopted
     despite not meeting the criteria outlined here, it should still be
     updated to Final status."
Does that help?

Thanks,

Luke