[bitcoin-dev] Hardfork bit BIP

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Mon Feb 8 02:44:32 UTC 2016

On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 03:20:27PM -0500, Gavin via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> > On Feb 7, 2016, at 2:27 PM, <jl2012 at xbt.hk> <jl2012 at xbt.hk> wrote:
> > Normal version number only suggests softforks, which is usually not a concern for SPV clients.
> Soft forks affect the security of low-confirmation (zero or one) transactions sent to SPV wallets even more than hard forks,

This isn't true for soft-forks that only forbid transactions that would
already be rejected for forwarding and mining due to being non-standard.

> and because many users and businesses choose convenience over airtight security I would argue transaction validation rule changes are a VERY big concern for lightweight clients.

I agree on that point; but ensuring soft-forks only affect non-standard
transactions already addresses that concern in every way I've been able
to discover.

Cheers,
aj