[bitcoin-dev] BIP proposal: Increase block size limit to 2 megabytes

Yifu Guo yifu at coinapex.com
Tue Feb 9 13:59:01 UTC 2016

Happy Lunar New Year Everyone!

Gavin,

> I suspect there ARE a significant percentage of un-maintained full
> nodes-- probably 30 to 40%. Losing those nodes will not be a problem, for
> three reasons:

The notion of large set ( 30% to 40% ) of un-maintained full nodes are not
evident on the network. below is data based on a personal snap shot taken
around Dec, 2015. with the following assumptions.
1) nodes running non standard version strings are considered a preference
by the node operator and are not included.
2) nodes below 0.10 are counted as so called "un-maintained" even though
they also can be a choice of the node operator.

Satoshi:0.9.3, 105
Satoshi:0.8.6, 74
Satoshi:0.9.1, 49
Satoshi:0.9.2.1, 42
Satoshi:0.8.5, 39
Satoshi:0.8.1, 35
Satoshi:0.9.5, 14
Satoshi:0.8.3, 12
Satoshi:0.9.4, 10
Satoshi:0.9.99, 10
Satoshi:0.9.0, 5
Satoshi:0.9.2, 5
Satoshi:0.8.0, 4
Satoshi:0.8.99, 1
Satoshi:0.8.4, 1

There are 406 nodes total that falls under the un-maintained category,
which is below 10% of the network.
Luke also have some data here that shows similar results.
http://luke.dashjr.org/programs/bitcoin/files/charts/versions.txt

> The network could shrink by 60% and it would still have plenty of open
> connection slots

I'm afraid we have to agree to disagree if you think dropping support for
60% of the nodes on the network when rolling out an upgrade is the sane
default.

> > People are committing to spinning up thousands of supports-2mb-nodes
> during the grace period.

thousands of nodes?! where did you get this figure? who are these people?
*Please* elaborate.

> We could wait a year and pick up maybe 10 or 20% more.

I don't understand this statement at all, please explicate.

--
*Yifu Guo*
*"Life is an everlasting self-improvement."*

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Gavin Andresen via bitcoin-dev <