[bitcoin-dev] Question regarding Confidential Transactions

Adam Gibson ekaggata at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 16:55:31 UTC 2016

In case it helps:
The elements alpha sidechain uses a different address format, which
includes an ECDH pubkey used for creating an ECDH shared secret.
That shared secret is used to seed a RFC6979 prng, which allows both
sides to generate the blinding factors used in the rangeproof.

So the situation is: both sides can generate the blinding factors, but
also the fake signatures used in the rangeproof (the basic idea there
is to have N signatures in a ring, but only one of them real; the rest
are forged and can be (must be) entirely random numbers. I say 'basic'
because the Borromean sig design is to link together several rings,
not just one). This allows the sender to embed the amount into one of
those fake signatures (usually the last one) using xor, with certain
formatting details.

It would be possible to not bother to embed the amount in this way;
the receiver, knowing the stream of fake/real signatures (again -
because he knows the seed for the prng), could simply observe which
ones are real and therefore know the digits of the amount. But if he
did it this way, it would not be possible to embed any other data into
the range proof (such as: auditing related information) using xor as
above.

I did some detailed explanation/investigation of this in sections 3.3
and 3.4 of
https://github.com/AdamISZ/ConfidentialTransactionsDoc/blob/master/essayonCT.pdf
; with apologies for any errors, it was just an investigation I did
last summer.