[bitcoin-dev] The first successful Zero-Knowledge Contingent Payment

Tier Nolan tier.nolan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 23:33:51 UTC 2016

That is very interesting.

There has been some recent discussion about atomic cross chain transfers
between Bitcoin and legacy altcoins.  For this purpose a legacy altcoin is
one that has strict IsStandard() rules and none of the advanced script
opcodes.

It has a requirement that Bob sends Alice a pair [hash_of_bob_private_key,
bob_public_key].  Bob has to prove that the hash is actually the result of
hashing the private key that matches bob_public_key.

This can be achieved with a cut-and-choose scheme.  It uses a fee so that
an attacker loses money on average.  It is vulnerable to an attacker who
doesn't mind losing money as long as the target loses money too.

Bob would have to prove that he has an x such that

xG = <bob_public_key>
hash(x) = hash_of_bob_private_key

Is the scheme fast enough such that an elliptic curve multiply would be
feasible?  You mention 20 seconds for 5 SHA256 operations, so I am guessing
no?

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:06 PM, Sergio Demian Lerner via bitcoin-dev <