[bitcoin-dev] Fast bootstrapping with a pre-generated UTXO-set database

Tier Nolan tier.nolan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 11:49:57 UTC 2016

One of the proposals was to build the UTXO set backwards.  You start from
the newest block and work backwards.

The database contains UTXOs (unspent transaction outputs) and "UFTXI"
(unfunded transaction inputs).

The procedure would be

For each transaction (last to first ordering)
    For each output
        - check if it is in the UFTXI set
        -- If so, validate the signatures
        -- If not, add it to the UTXO set

    For each input
        - Add to the UFTXI set

When you receive a transaction, it checks all the inputs
-- If all inputs are in the UTXO set, it says confirmed
-- Otherwise, gets marked as "unknown inputs"

There would also be a counter indicating how many blocks it has validated.

A transaction with an unfunded input counts as validated back to the block
it was included in.  Transactions count as confirmed to their ancestor that
has the newest validation time.

Assume that the node had validated the last 10000 blocks and you had a
transaction with one input.  Assume the input transaction was included 5000
blocks ago and its input was included 50,000 blocks ago.

TX-A) input (TX-B:0) included in block 6 blocks ago
TX-B) input (TX-C:0) included in block 5000 ago
TX-C) input (TX-B:0) included in block 20000 ago

TX-C would not be known to the node since it has only gone back 10000
blocks.

TX-A would have confirms 6 / 5000.  This means that its outputs have been
confirmed by 6 blocks (confirms work as currently) and that its inputs have
been confirmed by 5000 blocks.

The reference client could mark transactions with 6+ output confirms and
1000+ input confirms as confirmed.

Once it hits the genesis block, then all transactions would be
6/<infinity>, so it could drop the second number.

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Jonas Schnelli via bitcoin-dev <