[bitcoin-dev] Time to worry about 80-bit collision attacks or not?

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 23:39:58 UTC 2016

Thanks, Ethan, that's helpful and I'll stop thinking that collision attacks
require 2^(n/2) memory...

So can we quantify the incremental increase in security of SHA256(SHA256)
over RIPEMD160(SHA256) versus the incremental increase in security of
having a simpler implementation of segwitness?

I'm going to claim that the difference in the first case is very, very,
very small-- the risk of an implementation error caused by having multiple
ways of interpreting the segwitness hash in the scriptPubKey is much, much
greater.

And even if there IS some risk of collision attack now or at some point in
the future, I claim that it is easy for wallets to mitigate that risk. In
fact, the principle of security in depth means wallets that don't
completely control the scriptPubKeys they're creating on behalf of users
SHOULD be coded to mitigate that risk (e.g. not allowing arbitrary data
around a user's public key in a Script so targeted substring attacks are
eliminated entirely).

Purely from a security point of view, I think a single 20-byte segwitness
in the scriptPubKey is the best design.
"Keep the design as simple and small as possible"
https://www.securecoding.cert.org/confluence/plugins/servlet/mobile#content/view/2426

Add in the implied capacity increase of smaller scriptPubKeys and I still
think it is a no-brainer.

Gavin Andresen