[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Core 0.12.0 release candidate 1 available

Wladimir J. van der Laan laanwj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 11:14:16 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 11:57:28PM +0100, xor--- via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> On Sunday, January 17, 2016 11:08:08 AM Wladimir J. van der Laan via bitcoin-
> dev wrote:
> > Preliminary release notes for the release can be found here:
> >
> >     https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/0.12/doc/release-notes.md
>

> The part which lists raw Git pull requests says:
> > #6057 ac5476e re-enable wallet in autoprune
>
> But the main, handwritten part does not mention this.
> Is pruning really finished, i.e. could I safely use it as a wallet "end-user"?

It has been tested in git for almost half a year. This RC is the first binary
release that contains the functionality.

It is extremely unlikely that the wallet will eat your coins (always backup
nevertheless), but I can't guarantee there won't be some issue where the wallet
and chain get out of sync and you're forced to redownload the blockchain.

> IMHO it would be one of the most interesting feature for users, as it could
> fix the issue of taking >60 GB of disk space.
>
> So if it is finished, please mention that
> - it's finished
> - how to enable it.

How to enable it is still the same as mentioned in the 0.11 release notes:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/v0.11.0/doc/release-notes.md#block-file-pruning

Wladimir