[bitcoin-dev] [BIP/Draft] BIP Acceptance Process

Andy Chase theandychase at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 04:23:31 UTC 2016

Thanks for your comments Luke.

> Are you saying your proposal is intentionally not intended to reflect the
reality?

That's right. I want to be able to include more voices and be able to get a
clearer idea of acceptance then the process currently has available.

This process should work alongside the current one; not replace it.

> conditions under which a proposal is *known to be* accepted by the
community

*known to be* Is what I'm working towards; yes; but I think we need
additional tools/processes to determine that then what we currently have
available.

> As mentioned, IMO a committee shouldn't be indicating acceptance, as much
as
it should be *determining* acceptance.

The committee determine acceptance when taking their opinions in aggregate.
The source of their indication might be similar to what we currently have
(esp for Core Devs, etc.)

> That sounds very time consuming

Ok

> And what happens if these committees don't represent the community?

The committee structures are fluid-- that is users are able to re-organize
at any time.

> What about when only part of the community - let's say 10% - decides to
adopt a BIP that doesn't require consensus

This might happen, but is not a flaw in my process. My process makes it
clear they are going against the acceptance of the rest of the community. I
don't intend to "force" anyone to implement or use an accepted BIP. If that
is desired that's outside the scope of this BIP.

> But the Bitcoin user base is completely unknown, and tracking software
user base is a privacy violation.

I made a suggestion for this here:
https://gist.github.com/andychase/dddb83c294295879308b

If there are other ways for honest but anonymous voting mechanisms (that
aren't proof-of-stake since that's proof-of-most-money) I'd be all ears.

> Bitcoin economic activity is also unknown
> This needs a proper specification. How do miners express their positions?

I agree these are flaws in the proposal. I'm not sure that one way of
indicating should be considered valid forever, but may have to change over
time.

> Chosen how, and by whom?

I think the process could be used to determine this.

> but I don't think we can just let the author set any conditions they like
either

I'm not sure what you mean here but would love more information.