[bitcoin-dev] [BIP Draft] Allow zero value OP_RETURN in Payment Protocol

Toby Padilla tobypadilla at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 03:01:13 UTC 2016

> As I explained, none of those reasons apply to PaymentRequests.

As they exist today PaymentRequests allow for essentially the same types of
transactions as non-PaymentRequest based transactions with the limitation
that OP_RETURN values must be greater. In that sense they're basically a
pre-OP_RETURN environment. OP_RETURN serves a purpose and it can't be used
with PaymentRequest transactions.

> I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

I think if you think through how you would create an OP_RETURN transaction
today without this BIP you'll see you need a key at some point if you want
a zero value.