[bitcoin-dev] [BIP Draft] Allow zero value OP_RETURN in Payment Protocol

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Tue Jan 26 14:37:15 UTC 2016

Discussion about reasoning of OP_RETURN aside, I think your
specification needs to be more precise/less ambiguous.

Here is what BIP70 currently says about PaymentDetails.outputs:

"one or more outputs where Bitcoins are to be sent. If the sum of
outputs.amount is zero, the customer will be asked how much to pay, and
the bitcoin client may choose any or all of the Outputs (if there are
more than one) for payment. If the sum of outputs.amount is non-zero,
then the customer will be asked to pay the sum, and the payment shall be
split among the Outputs with non-zero amounts (if there are more than
one; Outputs with zero amounts shall be ignored)."

As you can see, zero outputs are not ignored at all. They are used as an
indication to allow the user to set an amount. So if you'd come up with
one zero-amount OP_RETURN output, it would pop up an amount dialog.
Certainly not what you want, right?