[bitcoin-dev] [BIP Draft] Allow zero value OP_RETURN in Payment Protocol

Toby Padilla tobypadilla at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 17:44:48 UTC 2016

OP_RETURN was not part of isStandard? from day one. Once it was supported
by Core it became necessary to actually support it, not try to support it
in one part of the software and not in others. The whole reason it was
supported is because without it people will use more heinous methods to
encode data on the blockchain. There's no way to stop people from doing
that, so this compromise seemed best for everyone.

I think we should actually define "spam". To me a valid transaction someone
willing pays for is never spam. Also PaymentRequests would be a very
inefficient way to spam. It would be much easier to write a script to
automatically create and submit transactions yourself. With PaymentRequests
 customers have to initiate the transaction and submit/pay for it one by
one.

What is actually the worst case scenario that those opposed to this are
concerned about? That this takes off like wild fire and all of the sudden
millions of people are using PaymentRequests and creating small
transactions? That seems like a win for Bitcoin. It will help spread
support for the Payment protocol and IF it becomes a problem it's because
so many people are using it. In which case there's a very valid use case
for Bitcoin that people are obviously excited about.

I really don't like the idea of policing other people's use of the
protocol. If a transaction pays its fee and has a greater than dust value,
it makes no sense to object to it.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Thomas Kerin via bitcoin-dev <