[bitcoin-dev] Status updates for BIP 9, 68, 112, and 113

Luke Dashjr luke at dashjr.org
Fri Jul 15 16:08:51 UTC 2016

Daniel Cousens opened the issue a few weeks ago, that BIP 9 should progress to
Accepted stage. However, as an informational BIP, it is not entirely clear on
whether it falls in the Draft/Accepted/Final classification of proposals
requiring implementation, or the Draft/Active classification like process
BIPs. Background of this discussion is at:
    https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/413
(Discussion on the GitHub BIPs repo is *NOT* recommended, hence bringing this
topic to the mailing list)

Reviewing the criteria for status changes, my opinion is that:
- BIPs 68, 112, 113, and 141 are themselves implementations of BIP 9
-- therefore, BIP 9 falls under the Draft/Accepted/Final class
- BIPs 68, 112, and 113 have been deployed to the network successfully
-- therefore, BIP 9 has satisfied the conditions of not only Accepted status,
   but also Final status
-- therefore, BIPs 68, 112, and 113 also ought to be Final status

If there are no objections, I plan to update the status to Final for BIPs 9,
68, 112, and 113 in one month. Since all four BIPs are currently Draft, I also
need at least one author from each BIP to sign-off on promoting them to (and
beyond) Accepted.

BIP   9: Pieter Wuille <pieter.wuille at gmail.com>
         Peter Todd <pete at petertodd.org>
         Greg Maxwell <greg at xiph.org>