[bitcoin-dev] BIP draft: Memo server

Luke Dashjr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Jun 2 00:41:27 UTC 2016

First of all, and most importantly, I like the idea/concept.

The first issue I see is that this scheme exposes private information in the
form of which inputs/outputs are related to the user. But IMO this information
should also be private and kept encrypted, so memo servers don't have anything
at all to leak.

Note this necessarily means you can't reuse the keys for the blockchain UTXOs
for memos. But such key reuse is also a risk that should be avoided anyway.
Instead, I suggest encrypting all the memos to an arbitrary key which is
derived from the HD seed and shouldn't ever be used for UTXOs.

Ideally, the memo server shouldn't be tied to a specific wallet schema. So the
next step is to not tell the memo server anything except your memo-specific
identifier (which can be a hash of a pubkey, or really anything at all -
there's no reason the memo server needs to know ANYTHING about the user's
wallet). Using an arbitrary identifier of sufficient length allows for future
wallet schemas to continue to use the same memo servers. (The specifics on how
to derive the identifier can be specified in a separate BIP to ensure wallets
can be compatible with each other.)

I don't think there is a real need for memo servers to sync data. It should be
sufficient for users to decide on two or more memo servers they wish to
entrust their memos with, or possibly trust only their own memo server(s).

There should probably also be a way for memos of different types. Some wallets
might only support simple memos, but others might associate more data for (eg)
proof-of-existence schemas. What types are used *might* be desirable to
encrypt as well, so this should probably be in the second "how wallets use it"
BIP.

IIRC, Electrum already has some kind of "memo server" interface in a plugin.
Have you looked at how it works, and considered its features (and/or flaws)
for your proposal?

Finally, using "?data&data&data" doesn't follow the standard
"?key=value&key=value" scheme; simple to fix.

Luke