[bitcoin-dev] Even more proposed BIP extensions to BIP 0070

Andy Schroder info at AndySchroder.com
Tue Jun 21 19:50:59 UTC 2016

Bluetooth exchange of payment requests already has a noticeable lag with
protocol buffers, so that would be another reason to argue against JSON,
because JSON is less efficient size wise, correct? I will say that
although protocol buffers have good platform support, I don't know that
the documentation for each platform is very good. This is the main
drawback I see with them. One additional advantage of protocol buffers
is that the .proto file is a specification, whereas with JSON, you'd
just have an example file, right?

Isn't keybase a centralized infrastructure? Are you against a blockchain
based identification? There are a few out there. There is some confusion
because onename's efforts are breaking away from namecoin though.

I like the idea of PGP signatures of payment requests. This allows for
manual verification (in my mind, the highest quality) of key
authenticity (or, with PGP you also have the option to opt into some
centralized service for key verification). This can be useful when
dealing with semi-manually issued invoices for goods and services. The
local bitcoin wallet could just interact with the local PGP keyring.
Although, one can already just send the payment request in a PGP signed
e-mail, so I'm not sure if PGP signing is really needed if you're using
PGP email. The main benefit may just be consolidating/itemizing into
your bitcoin wallet's transaction history whether the payment
destination/request was securely received or not. It may also be useful
for someone to be able to extract a signed payment request from a signed
PGP e-mail and send it to someone else to make a payment for you (maybe
you don't want your accounting person to need your entire e-mail
correspondence with a supplier to be able to just verify the payment
request and make a payment for your company).

I'm concerned about extending the URI scheme too much. Isn't this going
to reach the practical size limit of NFC and QR codes pretty quickly?

Andy Schroder