[bitcoin-dev] Even more proposed BIP extensions to BIP 0070

James MacWhyte macwhyte at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 22:50:36 UTC 2016

> Note that "client supplied identification" is being pushed for AML/KYC
> compliance, e.g. Netki's AML/KYC compliance product:
>

> http://www.coindesk.com/blockchain-identity-company-netki-launch-ssl-certificate-blockchain/
>
> This is an extremely undesirable feature to be baking into standards given
> it's
> negative impact on fungibility and privacy; we should not be adopting
> standards
> with AML/KYC support, for much the same reasons that the W3C should not be
> standardizing DRM.

KYC isn't the only use case. There are other situations in which you would
want to confirm who is sending you money. Making it *required* would of
course be a horrible idea, but allowing people to identify themselves, in
many cases with an online-only identity that isn't tied to their real world
identity, will be very useful to newly-developing use cases.