[bitcoin-dev] Even more proposed BIP extensions to BIP 0070

Erik Aronesty erik at q32.com
Wed Jun 22 20:37:06 UTC 2016

> I don't understand why subscriptions would need to be built into the
protocol.

Simple: Because the PaymentRequest is somewhat counter-intuitively a
/response/ to a customer initiated action.   It's not something the
merchant can initiate (of course, logically this makes sense... how can a
merchant know how to connect to some random android app).

Customers initiate all InvoiceRequests  BIP0075 clarifies this.   BIP0070
merely says that the customer "somehow indicates they are ready to pay".
BIP0075 formalizes a standard way to do this.

In no way do merchants initiate anything (of course).   Subscription
information must reside in the customers wallet, in response to a
merchant's advice to set up subscription.   Tacking parameters on to a
PaymentRequest or PaymentAck is the only good way to do this within BIP
70/75.

The only thing to hash out is exactly what fields to tack on and what they
mean.  ( subscription amount / currency / interval / interval_type ...
can't think of anything else )

Wallets are responsible for initiating the subscriptions on behalf of the
user.  Recommendations on how to do this should go into the spec.

Of course any wallet can, with BIP0075 add support for subscriptions
without any spec - just let the user set them up manually.   But it would
be nice if a user didn't have to enter the main parameters for
subscriptions... too easy to get times amounts, etc wrong.