[bitcoin-dev] BIP 151

Eric Voskuil eric at voskuil.org
Tue Jun 28 20:29:54 UTC 2016

> On Jun 28, 2016, at 10:14 PM, Peter Todd <pete at petertodd.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 08:35:26PM +0200, Eric Voskuil wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> What in this BIP makes a MITM attack easier (or easy) to detect, or increases the probability of one being detected?
>
> BIP151 gives users the tools to detect a MITM attack.
>
> It's kinda like PGP in that way: lots of PGP users don't properly check keys,

PGP requires a secure side channel for transmission of public keys. How does one "check" a key of an anonymous peer? I know you well enough to know you wouldn't trust a PGP key received over an insecure channel.

All you can prove is that you are talking to a peer and that communications in the session remain with that peer. The peer can be the attacker. As Jonas has acknowledged, authentication is required to actually guard against MITM attacks.