[bitcoin-dev] BIP 151

Nick ODell nickodell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 00:06:41 UTC 2016

>They both require authentication,

Yeah, but not the same *sort* of authentication. As a trivial example,
you could have ten servers that sign long-term keys for nodes. All
that they need to check is that the node requesting a signature owns
the corresponding IP address. On the other hand, 'evil nodes' is a
subjective quality that is hard to assess automatically.

>and if you intend to connect to potentially evil nodes you aren't securing anything

Bitcoin is designed with the assumption that some of the nodes you
connect to might be evil. Sure, if 100% of the nodes you're connected
to are evil, you're screwed. However, we shouldn't avoid protecting
people from someone on the same coffee-shop network, just because the
same mitigation won't work against a nation-state.

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 5:29 PM, Eric Voskuil via bitcoin-dev