[bitcoin-dev] BIP 151 use of HMAC_SHA512

Ethan Heilman eth3rs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 01:56:55 UTC 2016

>It's also not clear to me why the HMAC, vs just SHA256(key|cipher-type|mesg).  But that's probably just my crypto ignorance...

SHA256(key|cipher-type|mesg) is an extremely insecure MAC because of
the length extension property of SHA256.

If I have a tag y = SHA256(key|cipher-type|mesg), I can without
knowing key or msg compute a value y' such that
y' = SHA256(key|cipher-type|mesg|any values I want).

Thus, an attacker can trivially forge a tag protected by
SHA256(key|cipher-type|mesg).

For more details see:
https://web.archive.org/web/20141029080820/http://vudang.com/2012/03/md5-length-extension-attack/

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Rusty Russell via bitcoin-dev