[bitcoin-dev] Services bit for xthin blocks

G. Andrew Stone g.andrew.stone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 02:35:21 UTC 2016

Included at the bottom of this mail is a BIP concerning our impending use
of a particular services bit.

I am making a good-faith effort to notify the community of this use and
follow the BIP submission rules with a correctly formatted BIP sent to Luke
jr.  He has informed me that such a BIP should be discussed on the mailing
list (which is this thread) and that the BIP should document the extreme
thin block protocol.

Not an unreasonable request, however while I personally respect the many
great accomplishments of individual engineers loosely affiliated with
"Core", Bitcoin Unlimited has our own process for documentation and
discussion on an uncensored forum located here:
https://bitco.in/forum/threads/buip010-passed-xtreme-thinblocks.774/.  We
would love to have any interested engineer join us there with ideas and
criticisms.

But since Bitcoin Unlimited already has a process, it would be redundant
and time consuming for us to adhere to your process.  If a "Core" engineer
would like to spend the time to move this BIP through your process I would
be eternally grateful and be willing to use a different bit or make other
changes that make mutual sense.  If not, then it is up to "Core" as a group
to decide whether they would like to preserve interoperability as the
protocol intended by avoiding use of bit 1<<4  (except to indicate the
presence of a compatible Xthin implementation), or whether they will force
clients to take the sub-version field into account when determining client
capabilities.

Regards,
Andrew Stone
Developer, Bitcoin Unlimited