[bitcoin-dev] p2p authentication and encryption BIPs

Tom tomz at freedommail.ch
Fri Mar 25 10:41:04 UTC 2016

On Thursday 24 Mar 2016 13:20:48 Chris via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> As far as the use cases others mentioned, connecting and SPV wallet to
> your full node is certainly one. It would make it easy to, say, connect
> the android bitcoin-wallet to your own node. I've hacked on that wallet
> to make it connect to my .onion node, but it's very slow border-line
> unusable. Basic encryption and authentication would make that viable.

What about using some interface, much like the JSON one (but more likely the
zeroMQ one) instead? Would that not solve the problem?

I'm thinking that would not be a replacement for a full-node-connection but in
addition.

Which means that some questions can be asked over that channel that you need
authentication for. It would be a much better separation of concerns.