[bitcoin-dev] Making AsicBoost irrelevant

Timo Hanke timo.hanke at web.de
Wed May 11 16:24:13 UTC 2016

Luke, do you mean to replace the first 4 bytes of the second chunk (bytes
64..67 in 0-based counting) by the XOR of those 4 bytes with the first 4
bytes of the midstate? (I assume you don't care about 12 bytes but rather
those 4 bytes.)

This does not work. All it does is adding another computational step before
you can check for a collision in those 4 bytes. It makes finding a
collision only marginally harder.

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev <