[bitcoin-dev] Making AsicBoost irrelevant

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Wed May 11 20:50:10 UTC 2016

That's the reason for this post! All current major ASIC manufacturers
have made warrants that they are not using AsicBoost (with the exception
of the 21 Inc Bitcoin computer).

The fact that the optimization was patented is what has required that we
work to hardfork it out, not that people might have such private
optimizations. The fact that AsicBoost was independently discovered by
at least two (if not three) organizations seems to lend credence to the
idea that private optimizations will only provide a temporary win over
competitors.

Matt