[bitcoin-dev] Making AsicBoost irrelevant

Timo Hanke timo.hanke at web.de
Wed May 11 22:42:35 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 3:47 AM, Jannes Faber <jannes.faber at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 11 May 2016 at 12:36, Henning Kopp <henning.kopp at uni-ulm.de> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:21:10AM +0200, Jannes Faber via bitcoin-dev
>> wrote:

>> at
>> that
>> the
>> able
>> majority

>> after a
>> algorithm,
>> persistence of
>> > >

>> > Assuming AsicBoost miners are in the minority, their chain will
>> constantly
>> > get overtaken. So it will not be one endless hard fork as you claim, but
>> > rather AsicBoost blocks will continue to be ignored (orphaned) until
>> they
>> > stop making them.
>>
>> At least until a difficulty adjustment on the AsicBoost chain takes
>> place. From that point on, both chains, the AsicBoost one and the
>> forked one will grow approximately at the same speed.
>>

> No: you are still assuming AsicBoost miners would reject normal blocks.
> They don't now and they would have to specifically code for that as a reply
> to AsicBoost being banned. So there won't be two chains at all, only the
> main chain with a lot (more than usual) of short (few blocks) forks. Each
> forks starts anew, it's not one long fork. Therefore there is no
> "difficulty adjustment on the AiscBoost chain".
>
> Now if they do decide to ban non-AsicBoost blocks as a response to being
> banned themselves, they're just another altcoin with a different PoW and no
> one would have a reason to use them over Bitcoin (apart from maybe selling
> those forked coins asap).

This is what I meant. If existing hardware gets forked-out it will
inevitably lead to the creation of an altcoin. Simply because the hardware
exists and can't be used for anything else both chains will survive. I was
only comparing the situation to a contentious hardfork that does not fork
out any hardware. If the latter one is suspected to lead to the permanent
existence of two chains then a hardfork that forks out hardware is even
more likely to do so (I claim it's guaranteed).