[bitcoin-dev] Making AsicBoost irrelevant

Jorge Timón jtimon at jtimon.cc
Thu May 12 11:05:51 UTC 2016

On May 12, 2016 00:43, "Timo Hanke via bitcoin-dev" <
> This is what I meant. If existing hardware gets forked-out it will
inevitably lead to the creation of an altcoin. Simply because the hardware
exists and can't be used for anything else both chains will survive. I was
only comparing the situation to a contentious hardfork that does not fork
out any hardware. If the latter one is suspected to lead to the permanent
existence of two chains then a hardfork that forks out hardware is even
more likely to do so (I claim it's guaranteed).

You are wrong. Whether 2 chains survive in parallel or not depends SOLELY
in whether both chains maintain demand (aka users).
Anyway, this is a discussion I had with Gavin and Rusty on bitcoin-discuss
already. I suggest we move this particular point there since it is more
philosophical than technical.