[bitcoin-dev] Bip44 extension for P2SH/P2WSH/...

Jonas Schnelli dev at jonasschnelli.ch
Sat May 14 08:16:42 UTC 2016

Hi

> That's a valid concern, but I don't see the conflict here. In order to
> recover funds from a wallet conforming to BIPXX, you must have wallet
> software that handles BIPXX. Simply making BIPXX backwards compatible
> with previously created BIP44 or BIP43 purpose 0 wallets doesn't change
> this at all.

Maybe I'm going a bit offtopic. Sorry for that.

Importing a bip32 wallet (bip44 or not) is still an expert job IMO.
Also importing can lead to bad security practice (especially without a
sweep).

Users will send around xpriv or import an seed over a compromised
computer to a cold storage, etc.

I don't think users want to import private keys.
They probably want to import the transaction history and send all funds
covered by that seed to a new wallet.

I often though that task is better covered by a little GUI tool or
cli-app/script:
-> Accept different bip32 schematics (bip32 native, bip44, etc.)
-> Accept different bip39 (like) implementation
-> Create large lookup windows
-> Create a sweep transaction to a new address/wallet and sign/broadcast it.
-> Export transaction history (CSV)

But maybe I'm over-complicating things.

--
</jonas>