[bitcoin-dev] Bip44 extension for P2SH/P2WSH/...

Aaron Voisine voisine at gmail.com
Sat May 14 17:09:42 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 7:08 AM, Pavol Rusnak via bitcoin-dev <

> On 14/05/16 09:00, Andreas Schildbach via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> > The whole idea of BIP43 (which BIP44 bases on) is that how these BIPs
> > define balance retrieval never changes. This is to make sure you always
> > see the same balance on "same BIP" wallets (and same seed of course).
>
> This! Thanks Andreas for formulating my thought that I was not able to
> articulate earlier.

Indeed, this would still be the case when using a new BIPXX to define
adding segwit chains to what were previously BIP43/44 wallets. In this case
retrieval of a BIP44 wallet remains exactly the same as it did before. A
BIP44 wallet can still be recovered with any BIP44 compatible wallet
software. After you upgrade an existing BIP44 wallet to a BIPXX wallet, now
it is no longer a BIP44 wallet. It is now a BIPXX wallet, and can only be
recovered using BIPXX compatible wallet software.

If you are concerned about making a new BIP that fits in the BIP43
framework, i.e. a new purpose number, there's no reason this can't also be
done. You could create a new purpose number YY. Wallets that follow BIPYY
look just like BIPXX, except that they may only contain segwit address
chains, no standard P2PKH address chains.

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Jonas Schnelli via bitcoin-dev <

> AFAIK: Bip39 import (cross-wallet) is not supported by Schildbachs
> android wallet [1] and Electrum [2] and Breadwallet [3].

Breadwallet is BIP39, with the BIP43 purpose 0 derivation path, and I
believe Schlindbachs is as well. Electrum has their own format. I don't
know if it also supports sweeping other mnemonics and wallet layouts.

Aaron Voisine
co-founder and CEO
breadwallet <http://breadwallet.com/>