[bitcoin-dev] [BIP Proposal] Buried Deployments

Tom Zander tomz at freedommail.ch
Wed Nov 16 14:38:21 UTC 2016

Here is my thinking.

The BIP process is about changes to a living project which is the bitcoin
prptocol.
This specific BIP got accepted and we know in the blockchain that
this event (the acceptance) is recorded.
Before a certain block the rules were one way, after they were changed.

I have no problem with changing the *code* to be less complex because it
already knows the past. A checkpoint is the same, it is the registeration of
a past event.
This makes software less complex and still capable of checking the entire
blockchain from genesis.

I don’t see any harm in this change. I see prudent software engineering
practices.

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io