[bitcoin-dev] BIP30 and BIP34 interaction (was Re: [BIP Proposal] Buried Deployments)

Jorge Timón jtimon at jtimon.cc
Thu Nov 17 00:06:45 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 1:00 AM, Eric Voskuil <eric at voskuil.org> wrote:
> This is a misinterpretation of BIP30. Duplicate transaction hashes can
> and will happen and are perfectly valid in Bitcoin. BIP34 does not
> prevent this.

Sorry for moving the topic, but isn't duplication of tx hashes
precisely what BIP30 prevents?
That was my undesrtanding but should read it again.
Since regular txs take inputs, the collision is extremely unlikely
(again, this is my understanding, please correct me when wrong), the
worrying case is coinbase txs (which don't have input to take entropy
from). By introducing the committed height, collisions on coinbase txs
are prevented too.

If I'm wrong on any of this I'm more than happy to learn why.