[bitcoin-dev] BIP30 and BIP34 interaction (was Re: [BIP Proposal] Buried Deployments)

Johnson Lau jl2012 at xbt.hk
Fri Nov 18 14:43:03 UTC 2016

In this case I don’t understand how your implementation won’t be DoS-ed. An attacker could keep sending you inv for the same block / transaction. Since you don’t assume the hash is unique, each time you have to download the block/tx again before you could tell if that is the same one you have already known. Otherwise, you are implementing the “first seen” rule.

Also, you can’t ban a peer just because you get an invalid tx from him, because he might be referring to a hash-colliding UTXO that you don’t know. In that case you need to request for the parent tx to verify. I wonder if you are really doing that.