[bitcoin-dev] About ASICBoost

Gregory Maxwell greg at xiph.org
Sun Oct 2 22:58:46 UTC 2016

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 10:51 PM, Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev
> If you had acted in a way which indicated even the slightest regard for
> centralization pressure and the harm it can do to Bitcoin in the
> long-term, then I dont think many would be blaming you. Instead of any

Sergio was concerned about centralization pressure in private. He
reached out to the BCF on 2013-11-23 and asked if they would license
the patent from him so they could make it equally available to all
under "fair" terms.  BCF responded that they didn't think it (a
proprietary patent encumbered enhancement that would make its user(s)
30% more effective than others) would be a big deal and basically
encouraged him to go ahead and seek the patent.