[bitcoin-dev] DPL is not only not enough, but brings unfounded confidence to Bitcoin users

Daniel Robinson danrobinson010 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 11:51:01 UTC 2016

> Because if not, the DPL is still better than the status quo.

Agreed. Also worth noting that it has a potential advantage over unilateral
patent disarmament, analogous to the advantage of copyleft licenses over
MIT/BSD: it provides an incentive (at least a theoretical one) for other
companies to adopt it too.

As many people have proposed, the best option, though one that would
require a lot of work, might be a dedicated Bitcoin-related defensive
patent pool—similar to Linux's Open Invention Network—that could
strategically deploy patent licenses to incentivize cooperation and punish
aggressors.

Along those lines, it'd be reasonable to consider changing the Bitcoin
> Core license to something like an Apache2/LGPL3 dual license to ensure the
> copyright license also has anti-patent protections.

I think Apache 2.0 would be a great license for Bitcoin Core. It not only
contains an explicit patent license grant (rather than MIT's implicit one),
but terminates that license if the licensee asserts a claim alleging that
the covered work infringes a patent. That might be an effective deterrent
against bringing patent claims based on alleged infringement in Bitcoin
Core. (I'm not sure I see a good reason to dual-license under the LGPL3,
but am curious to hear more.)

It would probably be feasible to upgrade to the Apache license for new
releases and contributions (leaving already-existing code and previous
releases under the MIT license—so basically a copyright "soft-fork"). Has
this been discussed before? Are there any obstacles or objections?

(These are my personal opinions, do not necessarily reflect the views of
any company, and are definitely not legal advice.)

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 3:58 AM Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev <