[bitcoin-dev] Requesting BIP assignment; Flexible Transactions.
tomz at freedommail.ch
Wed Sep 21 12:58:02 UTC 2016
On Wednesday 21 Sep 2016 14:00:23 Andreas Schildbach via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Just glancing over your BIP, I wonder if we should use Protobuf. It uses
> this "flexible" format already and is quite compact/binary. We use
> Protobuf already for the payment protocol, and there is very good tool
There is a lot of overlap between different binary formats. Looking through
the on-the-wire protocol you'll see that my spec is very similar. Practically
all the advantages of protobuf are present in CMF. I can write you a java
parser if you want, it should be easy to port from Qt/C++ code :)
There is no tool support needed, just one or two classes. Which personally I
think is an advantage.
Some advantages of CMF over protobuf from the top of my head;
* It reuses the var-int parsing that Bitcoin uses (which is itself slightly
different from others).
* zero-copy support (not relevant for this bip, though).
* Additional values addition (i.e. adding new data) is .. tricky in protobuf.
* In my experience parsing a message manually (like a SOX parser) is much
better in reporting errors and detecting wrong usages than auto-generated code
(but personally I'm not much a fan of auto-generated APIs) at all...
* Generated parsing/writing code will not be as fast as we can make it.
* CMF is more compact (uses less bytes) for its messages.
Protobuf is something I've used before and I think we can do better. I think
that CMF together with some support classes can do this better.
More information about the bitcoin-dev