[bitcoin-dev] On-going work: Coin Selection Simulation

Daniel Weigl Daniel.Weigl at mycelium.com
Fri Sep 23 09:35:22 UTC 2016

Hello Murch,

> I've corrected the boundary in my simulation now and will update my
> simulation results before Scaling Bitcoin. Thank you very much for your
> correction.

Okay, if you already had included this logic I guess it wont change the
result that much if the cut off is 4440 or 5460sat.
But Im curious to see the new results.

> It is my understanding that Mycelium doesn't create small change outputs
> but rather hardly ever spends them when received.
..
> so please correct me when I'm wrong:
> Mycelium appears to select UTXO in a FIFO approach, but, after the
> selection, prunes by removing the smallest selected UTXO until the
> excess beyond the spending target is minimized. This post-selection step
> seems the likely reason for Mycelium's small UTXO build-up. (Bitcoin
> Core intermittenly used post-selection pruning also, and apparently this
> did cause a similar increase in UTXO set size then.)

Yes, you are correct - we added this pruning step about 2y ago to
improve privacy for the user on average. Every transaction
only links only so much inputs together as really necessary to fund
the transaction.

Our idea is to have the user the option (either global or per account or
per transaction) to choose between "maximize privacy" or "minimize fees"
(or even maybe "minimize UTXO", if the become more expensive in the future)
That will the change the behaviour of the coin selector.

Thx for your work, also looking forward to see the code and maybe play with
it a bit to test for different payment behaviours and coin selections.

Cheers,
Daniel