[bitcoin-dev] BIP draft: OP_CHECKBLOCKATHEIGHT

Tom tomz at freedommail.ch
Sat Sep 24 09:37:52 UTC 2016

Thank you Luke, this makes it clearer.

It doesn't change that this scenario is an attack that doesn't give the
attacker any benefit and the attacked doesn't loose anything either (as
Dave pointed out).

This is a completely academical problem that assumes so many stupid
mistakes from software and from people that its very unlikely. On top of
that it assumes a rather lengthy 51% attack in concert with this already
extremely unlikely usecase.

In the scenario you assume stupid people and then you solve it by requiring
the victim to suddenly be super smart and use a solution specifically
designed for this super unlikely usecase that probably will never actually
happen...

I don't buy it.