[bitcoin-dev] Guessing the spentness status of the pruned relatives

Bram Cohen bram at bittorrent.com
Sun Apr 2 01:27:17 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 6:10 PM, praxeology_guy via bitcoin-dev <

> With using the MMR data structure for txo commitments, its preferable that
> wallets only keep information pertinent to their own spendable coins.  In
> previous communication we talked about how wallets could maintain the
> changing MMR proof for their old coins.  Yes wallets know which of their
> own coins are spent.  But with MMR proofs wallets also need to know the
> spentness status of close relatives in the MMR tree... in order to
> construct a valid MMR proof that their own coin is not spent.

Did you read the post that I made about the TXO bitfield yesterday? That
gives what I believe is a much better way of handling this whole issue,
allowing wallets to keep track of nothing other than the proof of position
of their txo, which never changes.