[bitcoin-dev] Extension block proposal by Jeffrey et al

Johnson Lau jl2012 at xbt.hk
Tue Apr 4 18:35:01 UTC 2017

I feel particularly disappointed that while this BIP is 80% similar to my proposal made 2 months ago ( https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2017-January/013490.html ), Matt Corallo was only the person replied me. Also, this BIP seems ignored the txid malleability of the resolution tx, as my major technical critique of xblock design.

But anyway, here I’m only making comments on the design. As I said in my earlier post, I consider this more as an academic topic than something really ready for production use.

> This specification defines a method of increasing bitcoin transaction throughput without altering any existing consensus rules.

Softforks by definition tighten consensus rules

> There has been great debate regarding other ways of increasing transaction throughput, with no proposed consensus-layer solutions that have proven themselves to be particularly safe.

so the authors don’t consider segwit as a consensus-layer solution to increase transaction throughput, or not think segwit is safe? But logically speaking if segwit is not safe, this BIP could only be worse. OTOH, segwit also obviously increases tx throughput, although it may not be as much as some people wish to have.

> This specification refines many of Lau's ideas, and offers a much simpler method of tackling the value transfer issue, which, in Lau's proposal, was solved with consensus-layer UTXO selection.

The 2013 one is outdated. As the authors are not quoting it, not sure if they read my January proposal

>  extension block activation entails BIP141 activation.

I think extension block in the proposed form actually breaks BIP141. It may say it activates segregated witness as a general idea, but not a specific proposal like BIP141

> The merkle root is to be calculated as a merkle tree with all extension block txids and wtxids as the leaves.

It needs to be more specific here. How are they exactly arranged? I suggest it uses a root of all txids, and a root of all wtxids, and combine them as the commitment. The reason is to allow people to prune the witness data, yet still able to serve the pruned tx to light wallets. If it makes txid and wtxid as pairs, after witness pruning it still needs to store all the wtxids or it can’t reconstruct the tree

> Outputs signal to exit the extension block if the contained script is either a minimally encoded P2PKH or P2SH script.

This hits the biggest question I asked in my January post: do you want to allow direct exit payment to legacy addresses? As a block reorg will almost guarantee changing txid of the resolution tx, that will permanently invalidate all the child txs based on the resolution tx. This is a significant change to the current tx model. To fix this, you need to make exit outputs unspendable for up to 100 blocks. Doing this, however, will make legacy wallet users very confused as they do not anticipate funding being locked up for a long period of time. So you can’t let the money sent back to a legacy address directly, but sent to a new format address that only recognized by new wallet, which understands the lock up requirement. This way, however, introduces friction and some fungibility issues, and I’d expect people using cross chain atomic swap to exchange bitcoin and xbitcoin

To summarise, my questions are:
1. Is it acceptable to have massive txid malleability and transaction chain invalidation for every natural happening reorg?  Yes: the current spec is ok; No: next question (I’d say no)
2. Is locking up exit outputs the best way to deal with the problem? (I tried really hard to find a better solution but failed)
3. How long the lock-up period should be? Answer could be anywhere from 1 to 100
4. With a lock-up period, should it allow direct exit to legacy address? (I think it’s ok if the lock-up is short, like 1-2 block. But is that safe enough?)
5. Due to the fungibility issues, it may need a new name for the tokens in the ext-block

> Verification of transactions within the extension block shall enforce all currently deployed softforks, along with an extra BIP141-like ruleset.

I suggest to only allow push-only and OP_RETURN scriptPubKey in xblock. Especially, you don’t want to replicate the sighash bug to xblock. Also, requires scriptSig to be always empty

> This leaves room for 7 future soft-fork upgrades to relax DoS limits.

Why 7? There are 16 unused witness program versions

> Witness script hash v0 shall be worth the number of accurately counted sigops in the redeem script, multiplied by a factor of 8.

There is a flaw here: witness script with no sigop will be counted as 0 and have a lot free space

> every 73 bytes in the serialized witness vector is worth 1 additional point.

so 72 bytes is 1 point or 0 point? Maybe it should just scale everything up by 64 or 128, and make 1 witness byte = 1 point . So it won’t provide any “free space” in the block.

> Currently defined witness programs (v0) are each worth 8 points. Unknown witness program outputs are worth 1 point. Any exiting output is always worth 8 points.

I’d suggest to have at least 16 points for each witness v0 output, so it will make it always more expensive to create than spend UTXO. It may even provide extra “discount” if a tx has more input than output. The overall objective is to limit the UTXO growth. The ext block should be mainly for making transactions, not store of value (I’ll explain later)

> Dust Threshold

In general I think it’s ok, but I’d suggest a higher threshold like 5000 satoshi. It may also combine the threshold with the output witness version, so unknown version may have a lower or no threshold. Alternatively, it may start with a high threshold and leave a backdoor softfork to reduce it.

> Deactivation

It is a double-edged sword. While it is good for us to be able to discard an unused chain, it may create really bad user experience and people may even lose money. For example, people may have opened Lightning channels and they will find it not possible to close the channel. So you need to make sure people are not making time-locked tx for years, and require people to refresh their channel regularly. And have big red warning when the deactivation SF is locked in. Generally, xblock with deactivation should never be used as long-term storage of value.

————
some general comments:

1. This BIP in current form is not compatible with BIP141. Since most nodes are already upgraded to BIP141, this BIP must not be activated unless BIP141 failed to activate. However, if the community really endorse the idea of ext block, I see no reason why we couldn’t activate BIP141 first (which could be done in 2 weeks), then work together to make ext block possible. Ext block is more complicated than segwit. If it took dozens of developers a whole year to release segwit, I don’t see how ext block could become ready for production with less time and efforts.

2. Another reason to make this BIP compatible with BIP141 is we also need malleability fix in the main chain. As the xblock has a deactivation mechanism, it can’t be used for longterm value storage.

3. I think the size and cost limit of the xblock should be lower at the beginning, and increases as we find it works smoothly. It could be a predefined growth curve like BIP103, or a backdoor softfork. With the current design, it leaves a massive space for miners to fill up with non-tx garbage. Also, I’d also like to see a complete SPV fraud-proof solution before the size grows bigger.