[bitcoin-dev] BIP proposal: Inhibiting a covert attack on the Bitcoin POW function

Jared Lee Richardson jaredr26 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 17:26:52 UTC 2017

> We are not going to invalidate covert asicboost without a fight. And we are working with a system that actively (and is demonstrably very effective at doing it) resists changes which are contentious. This is definitely a contentious change, because an important part of the community (the miners) is going to be actively resisting it.

I'd just like to point out, invalidating asicboost has only a very
limited number of potential detractors.  Only a mining farm that
self-mined and used custom software would be able to exploit this.
Every other mining farm on the planet, plus any users wishing for more
transactions to be included in blocks would be in favor of this,
assuming the theory that it favors fewer transactions is correct.
That makes it less contentious than many other alternatives.  It might
even force the mining operation(s) in question to flip and support SW
in order to avoid losing face and/or appearing guilty.

As an additional plus, nearly all of the BU crowd and most BU
supporting miners would have little reason to object to Asicboost -
Based on philosophy alone, but not based on any practical
considerations.

Jared

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 8:23 PM, David Vorick via bitcoin-dev