[bitcoin-dev] BIP proposal: Inhibiting a covert attack on the Bitcoin POW function

Jorge Timón jtimon at jtimon.cc
Thu Apr 6 17:51:37 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 4:39 AM, Bram Cohen via bitcoin-dev

> Asicboost also has the problem that it isn't treating the hashing as a black
> box, and thus has impacts on what gets mined. In particular it creates an
> incentive to make blocks smaller. That's a very unwanted effect, and
> anything like it should be engineered out on principle.

This is an interesting point.

If you have a precise description why it makes an incentive to make
blocks smaller I would love to read it.
Somebody asked and I didn't have an answer.
I imagine you try several reorderings sometimes excluding certain
branches of the merkle tree, permuting the branches you exclude or
something similar, but I really don't know the algorithm in detail and
I didn't want to say something inaccurate.