[bitcoin-dev] Praxeological Analysis of PoW Policy Changes, Re: ASICBOOST

praxeology_guy praxeology_guy at protonmail.com
Fri Apr 7 00:11:00 UTC 2017

> "... put a damper on advancing the development of more efficient mining hardware, which is once again desirable to users as it makes the transaction ordering more future proof."

Run on sentence sorry. I meant to say that development of more efficient/mature mining hardware sooner is desirable to money owners/traders. So anything that could dis-incentivize R&D to mature ASICs would be bad. PoW policy changes should be made carefully in order to minimize this hampering effect.

I didn't mean to imply that Gregory Maxwell's current BIP countered/disabled both the evident and covert versions of asicboost. I think his BIP is a good idea, to quickly release a version that blocks the patented covert optimization... and then later we can consider taking steps to further disable the patented evident version of asicboost if it becomes a problem.

Cheers,
Praxeology Guy