[bitcoin-dev] BIP proposal: Inhibiting a covert attack on the Bitcoin POW function

Alex Mizrahi alex.mizrahi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 07:44:59 UTC 2017

> Can you please not forget to supply us more details on the claims made
> regarding the reverse engineering of the Asic chip?
>
> It is absolutely crucial that we get these independently verified ASAP.

Bitmain confirmed that their chips support ASICBOOST and it can be used for
mining:

https://blog.bitmain.com/en/regarding-recent-allegations-smear-campaigns/

They claim that they don't use it on mainnet, but that claim cannot be
verified. it is possible to do covert ASICBOOST in a 100% covert manner.
(It can be done without "transaction reordering" so it's not worth
analyzing blocks etc.)