[bitcoin-dev] A Small Modification to Segwit

Jimmy Song jaejoon at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 15:17:47 UTC 2017

> I think it might be important that the mandatory commitment expire as in
> Greg's proposal - when we do eventually hardfork, it will be simpler to do
> in
> a safe manner if such a commitment in the fake "old block" is not required.

OK, that makes sense. I'll modify my proposal this way:

Beginning block X and until block Y the coinbase transaction of
each block MUST contain a BIP-141 segwit commitment

> I don't like your proposal because it allows ASICBoost. ASICBoost
> effectively
> makes SHA2 semi-ASIC-resistant. ASIC-resistance raises the barrier of
> entry to
> new mining chip manufacturers, and gives a larger advantage to the miners
> able
> to make use of it. Instead, IMO we should fix the vulnerability exploited
> by
> ASICBoost entirely to keep SHA2 as ASIC-friendly as possible - or change
> the
> PoW to an algorithm that is more ASIC-friendly.

Overt ASICBoost is allowed on the network already. Until a proposal
explicitly blocking overt ASICBoost as a soft fork is activated, this seems
to be better than the current state which is that overt ASICBoost is
allowed, but at a cost to BIP9 signals.

Jimmy