[bitcoin-dev] A Small Modification to Segwit

Jorge Timón jtimon at jtimon.cc
Tue Apr 11 21:25:45 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Jimmy Song via bitcoin-dev
> I've changed the proposal so only 8 bits are given to grinding so something
> like 20 bits are available for signaling.
>
> I have to say I'm at a loss here as to what's next? Should I make a new BIP
> or try to convince the authors of BIP141 to modify their BIP? Could someone
> inform me on the next part of the process?

See bip2, specifically
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0002.mediawiki#bip-workflow

"Following a discussion, the proposal should be submitted to the BIPs
git repository as a pull request. This draft must be written in BIP
style as described below, and named with an alias such as
"bip-johndoe-infinitebitcoins" until the editor has assigned it a BIP
number (authors MUST NOT self-assign BIP numbers)."

But I think it's kind of late to modify bip141, given that there's
code out there with the current specification.
I guess you can propose extensions or alternatives to replace it. I'm
really not sure what's the next step, but I don't think you have
provided enough motivation as to why we would want to maintain
asicboost. You said it makes the network more secure, but that's not
the case, as explained, not even if all honest miners use it.