[bitcoin-dev] A Small Modification to Segwit

Jimmy Song jaejoon at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 23:42:41 UTC 2017

Jorge, I'll be happy to discuss with you more about whether allowing
ASICBoost would actually secure the network more or not, but that's not my
main motivation. My main motivation is to get more miners to accept segwit.

The version bit usage part, I don't believe requires any code changes as
those bits aren't being used by BIP9 anyway, though some cleanup to
restrict them later is probably a good idea.
The requiring witness commitment part would require some changes, but
according to Timo Hanke, that's actually not necessary as overt is so much
more efficient.

In any case, I'm happy to close this discussion until there's some
indication that more miners would accept segwit as a result of this change.

Jimmy