[bitcoin-dev] Proposal: Soft Fork Threshold Signaling

Thomas Voegtlin thomasv at electrum.org
Thu Apr 13 14:55:29 UTC 2017

Hi Sancho,

I saw your proposal. However, my point is that the threshold should be
part of the signaling, and not fixed in the soft-fork proposal.

I agree that coinbase space might be a limitation.

To avoid this, I realize that the threshold could be encoded in the
version bits. We have 32 version bits, and the top 3 bits must be set to
001 in BIP9. In order to extend BIP9 in a backward compatible way, we
could set these 3 top bits to 010, and use the 29 remaining bits for
soft fork signaling.

If we use 7 bits per soft-fork proposal, we have enough space to encode
four simultaneous soft-fork proposals, and sub-percent granularity for
the threshold (2^7=128).